- In many ways Data Scientist is an elusive role. As we internalize the application of big data, the role and the skill sets would evolve …
- The two important questions are – “What would a Data Scientist do ?” & “What tools/skillsets does a Data Scientist have in one’s backpocket ?”
- Forbes article “The Where, Who, and Why of Data Scientists” is an interesting read
- [Update 1] Irving Wladawsky-Berger talks about Data Scientists having hybrid set of IT skills. Interesting blog.
- [Update 2] To those who came here directly, a forward pinter to my short blog on Data Science Engineers. To others, this will put you in a loop ;o)
- [Update 3] Defining & Differentiating the role of a Data Scientist by Doug Laney is interesting
- Defying the conventional wisdom of Data Scientist = PhD in Statistics, I think Data Scientist is much broader, but with focus on Modes, Algorithms, Visualization, Prediction & Exploration of Big Data, Of course.
- Here is my quick take – an equation and a picture to go with it !
DataScientist = Part Hacker + Part Technologist + Part Detective + Part Scientist + Part Business Analyst + Part Visual Artist
[Update 12/22/12] GigaOm says : Data Science = Data Architecture + Machine Learning + Analytics. Makes sense. I have updated my diagram accrdingly