Rebekah Cox at Quora has an excellent blog on Design. A few good points from the blog:
- Design is a set of decisions about a product.
- It’s not an interface or an aesthetic, it’s not a brand or a color. Design is the actual decisions.
- It imposes a clear relationship between a product and its interface. The ultimate expression of your product isn’t any one big thing; it’s the sum of all the little decisions you’ve made along the way.
- Great design is all the work you don’t ask the people who use your products to do.
- The problems we decide to solve are as important as how we solve them.